Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Punta Cana Vacation Part Six

This is where I get to tell you about the pool area at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana. I have never been much of a pool person. I prefer the ocean. The pool here is not unlike what you would find in Cancun. The pool consists of three pools connected together.......a deep pool with a section for water polo and volleyball........a central pool about 4 foot deep with a fountain.......and the bar pool, about 3 -4 foot deep with a working bar. All surrounded by lounge chairs for sunbathing.


The time I spent at the pool was mostly at the bar pool. I am not a big drinker, though I did have my share of Presidente cerveza and an occasional mamajuana. Here is the view from the bar.


I bet you are wondering....."where are all of the people?". These pictures were taken in the late afternoons right before the staff would close down the area for cleaning. After long days on the beach, we would hit the pool to cool off and have a drink or two. It was nice to be in a pool without droves of people. I understand that we were there before the peak season kicked in, so there were less people than normal.


The pool bar had stools in the water. You can just sit there and have a drink or simply wade around in the pool. The bartender's last name was "Sosa". We mentioned Sammy Sosa, the baseball player to him and he said "He's my brother!". I bet he always says that. I didn't believe it.....he looked nothing like Sammy....hehehe. Ironically, the bartender's first name was Freimmie (pronounced "Frammy"). He kept our drinks full and was very attentive to everyone. A dollar tip goes a long way in keeping that attention.



Across the pool from the bar is an area that is sloped so that you can sit in the water if you wish, just as you would sit on a beach. I am not a swimmer, and this is perfect for someone like myself.


The area on the left of the photo is the pool bar. At left-center is the poolside bar. At the right is the Poolside Food area. Unpictured to the right are the other sections of the pool.


One of the few daylight pool photos that actually worked out for me. As you can see, there were actually other people there....hehehe.


If you look carefully at this photo, you can see something swimming beneath the water. My wife purchased a battery operated, motorized toy shark and brought it with us to Punta Cana. We all had a lot of fun with the shark. You can imagine the look on some of the faces of the people when it would swim past them. A few times, the shark would swim below the surface and collide with the people at the bar. They would freak out when the fins would swipe at their legs.


The building in this photo is a dining area. It is also the area where you can play bingo. You can see a wooden bridge at the center of the photo.


The water in the pool was very refreshing yet warm as bathtub water.


All in all, the pool area was pretty darned great and I enjoyed each and every moment I spent there. During the day, they have several activities going on at poolside. The entertainment crew called "Star Friends" teach merengue dance, aerobics, contests, etc. I didn't participate in any of these because I preferred the beach.

Stay tuned for Part Seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment