Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The B-52s Baltimore Concert

I've never bought a B-52s record or CD. Sure......I had heard their music everywhere......on the radio, at parties, on vacation, on MTV...........heck, I have even cued up "Rock Lobster" and "Love Shack" on the turntables when I was a deejay in the 80s in Florida. I also never had "attending a B-52s concert" on my list of things to do. As it happened, my friend Dean Martin-Frampton had two tickets to the B-52s show at the Ram's Head Live! in Baltimore and he asked if I would go with him. He had seen them before at the Pier Six Pavilion at the Inner Harbor and said he really enjoyed the show. I figured "Why Not?"

The house was packed. THIS time, I brought my camera.............which I should have done for the Rundgren concert...............lessons learned. Instead of planting ourselves up against the stage, as we did for the Rundgren show, we found a nice spot on the second level at the side of the stage. I do not think there is a bad spot to be in Ram's Head Live!, and this one was pretty decent as far as being able to see everything.

Kate Pierson did her thang onstage..........flourescent pink stockings?.......

I must say that the entire band was excellent and spot on. The crowd was really into it, singing along for the most part, and the performers fed off of the vibe from the crowd. The supporting musicians that completed the band were the unsung heroes of the night. Fantastic drumming and bass playing, keyboards........and still........I could not tell you who they were...........there is no mention of them on the B-52s website.

Every time I see Fred Schneider I cannot help but think of Huntz Hall from the old Bowery Boys.

The B-52 gals have aged..........but in a way that somehow is fitting for the group to this day.





Fred Schneider..........I just don't think there ever has been anyone quite like him. He is one of a kind.
Fred has that kind of face as if you know him from somewhere........

.........same goes for Cindy Wilson.





"Love Shack.....Baby!"

It was a very good show and I was pleasantly surprised. After the show, me and Dino knew what to do..........we headed for the back door and waited with a fairly decent size group of people. We knew we would get a photo op and some autographs.

Keith Strickland is a very talented musician. He was first to exit the venue and if Kasim Sulton is, as I said before "the nicest dude", then Keith has to come in second place. He was very cordial and willingly posed and signed for everyone that was waiting. It did not bother him to have a conversation with you.

Keith Strickland and my buddy Dean Martin-Hendrix.

Cindy Wilson then followed........now just what do you think I am gonna say?

I don't know who this dude was but I had to take his picture as he stood there holding the purses. I assume he was part of their entourage.

As this was happening, the fans simply showed their affection and from what I could see, Cindy and Keith.....and Kate......made everyone feel that they had affection for them as well.

Ahhhhh........my self-portrait with Cindy. I still say that she looks like you know her from somewhere.

My buddy Dean Martin-Springsteen posed with Cindy...............maybe she thought HE looked like somebody she knew from somewhere too. I cannot say enough about how very nice and sweet Cindy Wilson was.

Kate Pierson........hmmmm.......while Cindy Wilson is "down to earth friendly".........Kate Pierson is.......well........."space cadet friendly". As I handed her a pen to sign an autograph, she couldn't do it until I handed her the pen in the opposite direction than what I originally offered her............hmmmm.........oh well.........she was still nice though. Here she is with my buddy Dean Martin-Clapton.

Fred Schneider never came out to greet anyone.

It was a good time and I am glad I went. I would recommend it. The B-52 gals had no clue that they had been in the presence of the Uncle Murray Band.......hehehe.......and if they happen to ever read this...........THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment