Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jamaica Part 8 - An Inside Look

In the front lobby of the Sunset At The Palms Resort in Negril, Jamaica, is a water fountain sitting right next to the entrance walkway. It was nothing extravagant or overdone......just a simple fountain with two sculptures of small boys playing in the water. Five colored lights lit it up nicely at night. During the daylight, it never looked as nice as it did at night. As you can see in the picture, the two boys appear to be drinking the water from hoses.

Here is a closer look.
Check this out............now THIS is something you don't see everyday, folks.................there is a certain angle, which, when you look at one of the boys, you see the following:

..........Yep........it looks like the kid is heaving up the contents of his stomach!


The sculptures here are a bit odd in that they seem to be part of something much larger.........well.....at least this one does.
Now that I have gotten those two oddities out of the way...........I shall move on to showing you some of the indoor views of this unique resort.
It was breakfast time. A buffet line with assorted breakfast foods. The cart had netting all around it to keep flies or birds away from what was inside the cart. Very clean area and open-air.

The pool bar.............we were there every day.....maybe twice each day......once in the late afternoon and where the majority of entertainment was at night.

On the beach............the beach bar. The resort is all-inclusive..........just have some money for tipping. A few steps away............the water was.

When it rained, we spent a lot of time under the roof of the beach bar.

Looking towards the entrance..........you can see that fountain with the two boys right there to the left of center. The piano bar was further left and the front office was on the right. When I look to my immediate left here, I see this:

This is one of the walkways that leads to the pool area. The covered area here serves many purposes. There is a small stage and there are tables and chairs. The resort holds special events such as weddings here during inclement weather. On some evenings, entertainers perform for you while you eat your dinner from the buffet.

Looking behind me from that same place I stood. They call it the Palm Grove Restaurant. To the right, the previously mentioned area.........and to the left, the main dining room and buffet.

Here, I was standing right next to the fountain looking toward the driveway and the security booth. They really keep those floors polished.

Behind me to my left as I stand at the fountain, is the piano bar. During the day, it is very dimly lit.........and at night it is the same. There are no bright lights here at the resort.........and I like that.

In front of the piano bar is a seating/lounge area. We sat right here on one night and played Scrabble for a while.
This is a view of the entire area towards the piano bar. The meeting room/full service restaurant is beyond the piano. You can see here how dark an area this is.........and this is during daytime.

There is a walkway between the main dining area on the right and the front office/reception area on the left. It leads to a cashier window.........????? I never needed a cashier for anything...........and the walkway leads to assorted staff areas. But there was one particular room down this path on the left that I frequented each day.

..........the Internet Room!
Two computers raring to go.........hehehe........this is how I kept abreast of news and weather reports. I also kept e-mail contact with my son............for some reason I hate cell phones......hehehe. This room was a gem.........no, it was not fancy at all.....in fact, it is very plain............but what made this room special was the fact that it was colder than a Slurpee in there on most days and nights. Did I mention the humidity here?

Walking back down the walkway from the Internet Room, I would see this bloom every time......and every time I approached it.....I stopped to stare at it. Now THIS kind of stuff is special...............I cannot see this at home...........except, now I can........thanks to my taking this picture.

Many people never seem to look upward............and they miss stuff like this. This is what it looks like above the main dining area. Amazing stuff, ain't it?
Well, folks............I have some more stuff to show you before I head out on a cruise back to the Caribbean on Friday...............a few loose ends..........I would be remiss if I failed to show you some of the people I encountered daily while vacationing here.
So Stay Tuned!
Next up: Jamaica Part 9

No comments:

Post a Comment