Friday, November 09, 2007

Jamaica Part 1 - The Flight

We boarded the Air Jamaica airplane at BWI after a two hour delay.......ahhh.....the delay was because the "crew got in late"...........now what am I supposed to think about that? Were they out partying up a storm in Baltimore on Saturday night......and overslept?........who knows? I guess I will never know.

It was a fairly nice plane........comfortable seats.....not much leg room, though......and the take-off went smoothly.
For me, it takes a little while for me to assimilate...........maybe I am a little bit edgy.........flying is not part of my daily routine. It's not bad, though.....just like being on a bus.......except it's a lot faster and you soar through the air. So I assimilate by checking out my surroundings. In these times I cannot help but carefully analyze and inspect every passenger I can get my eyeballs on. I even try to look behind me without being obvious..........the camera comes in handy for that.

I aimed my camera up the aisle towards the front of the plane.......hmmm.....there's the pilot......hmmmm...........huh?........I can see the pilot? What is up with that? How secure is that? Makes you wonder.......doesn't it?


But I am okay.......I am comfortable........not overly concerned..........and I have prepared for take-off.........hehehe.


So what do I do for the three hour and one minute flight?............do some crosswords.........sudoku puzzles..........eat..........drink...........wiggle around in my seat so that my ass-bone doesn't hurt.........the wife, Supernurse kicks back and takes a snooze.......me?.......I gotta look out the window.

The window looks like I had been on the space shuttle. For me.......I need to see where I am and where I am heading........so my eyes become glued to that window.

A closer look through the window.........I can see one of the engines......and part of the wing. At this point we are well above the clouds........it's amazing and beautiful. A moment like this makes you realize how pitifully small we are in the grand scheme of things.

Looking down...........I see lots of ocean.........and eventually we came across a land mass below. It was apparently Cuba because the very next chunk of land was where we landed.

And there it was..........Jamaica! I had not realized how mountainous Jamaica is. From this vantage point, it looks very appealing.


Flying along the coastline.....descending as we go...........I can now distinguish more details. It is very fascinating to see this kind of thing.

Landing's are not always perfect......some are smoother than others........not all that bad, actually...........but you get a certain stress point inside you when landing........"Are we gonna be able to stop?"..........."Is there enough runway?"..............."Landing gear okay?".........the force of the landing and the ensuing stoppage is not unlike a thrill ride at an amusement park. Sometimes passengers actually applaud after landing..........and they did this time.
So now I am to get thru the Sangster Airport and board a bus to take our group to the Sunset At The Palms Resort in Negril. The weather?...........looks good for now.
Next up: Jamaica Part 2: The Bus Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment