Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin

I remember it like it was yesterday..............It was September of 1972 and I had bought the George Carlin album "FM & AM" and got it home......put it on the turntable........and my life changed. I loved humor and still do.............but Carlin was sooooooooo different.........he was special. I can safely say that Carlin influenced me. Not only that, but he was one of those people that when you see him you cannot help having the feeling that you "knew" him. I first saw him on the Tonight Show and remember thinking "He looks familiar". His humor was almost always built upon things that are true........and the truth is always funny.

I was fortunate to have been able to attend one of his performances at the Meyerhoff in Baltimore. We paid some outrageous price for the tickets and were subjected to a solid two hours of punishing humor. He ended the show with the words "Go F**k Yourselves!". As the years had gone by, Carlin had morphed into the "angry old man"..............and still as funny as ever. I did not always agree with his view of the world, but I always could appreciate why he had those views.

I woke up this morning to hear that George Carlin passed away from a heart attack at age 71.

Shhhhhhhh...................

Thanks George!

No comments:

Post a Comment