Saturday, November 27, 2010

Riviera Maya Vacation - Part Four

Have I mentioned that I miss this place already?.............When not on the beach or eating.....hehehe......we would lounge around in the hotel lobby.......uh....there are several lobbies.....we mostly hung out in our lobby, the Colonial Lobby. Live music and lots of drinks.....and watching the people go by...........its a nice way to end the day every day.

I forgot a few of the towel sculptures in the previous post......so here they are.......can you guess what they are?

Last year, vendors would set up in the resort lobby once or twice a week...........This year, they were set up just about every other day.........which is a good thing except most of the vendors never seem to remember that just saw you before and asked you to buy something. Nobody likes to be pressured into buying anything............trust me, these vendors are tame in comparison to the vendors on the beach in Jamaica........arrgghhh!.

One particular vendor hand painted beach scenes on ceramic tiles..................I said "hand" painted..............

...........his work is phenomenal.............did I buy one?.......NO. I generally do not buy something that I might be able to do my own self..............but this guy was great to speak with and watch.......he was amazingly fast.

He hardly ever used a brush.........he mostly used his fingers and a rag.


Here is a short video for you to watch of the man doing his art.......




All sorts of souvenirs lined the breezeways that connected the buffet and restaurants to the lobby area.

The was another painter who did things a bit different.....he uses spray paint and dries his work with flames.

I didn't buy one of these either............but I did buy a souvenir which I will show you in a future post.

To the average person I suppose this kind of art is pretty darned good........and it is........but for me, I just do not get all that excited by spray painted art. Sure, it is done well, but I have gone through many years of sign painting where I would incorporate the use of spray paints for certain visual effects on lettering.....................oh well.

Somewhere on that table is the souvenir that I bought........yes I negotiated the price :) ........and I did wait until the night before we left for home.

Supernurse wanted a margarita glass..........we bought one.......and she proceeded to break the darn thing as soon as we sat down in the lobby for some drinks........go figure. I felt bad about it but she refused my offer to get her another one because she said she would "break that one too".

Speaking of artwork, there is quite a bit of artwork to take notice of at this resort..........No, not like a museum..........but you can look up and see some impressive architecture.

Okay........so back to the room............more towel art........

Sadly, there were pictures on the wall in the room.........this is one of them. Now imagine yourself.......laying in your bed..........when you first lay down and seeing this when you first wake up............Yikes!..............No matter where you moved in the room, it seemed that the eyes followed you............not only that, but this woman had what appeared to be a very thin line beard!...............and the two birds looked as if they had lice and some other avian disease! Yikes!

Oh well..........there you go.........I managed to come up with something to complain about.....hehehe.

Stay tuned.........I have some great pictures and videos from the vacation to share with everyone.

Until next time..........

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment