Monday, July 28, 2008

Texas Visit - Round Rock Express

As it was, we were in Texas visiting my second eldest, and we all went to see a minor league baseball game between the Round Rock Express and the Oklahoma Redhawks. Round Rock is the AAA affiliate of the Houston Astros and Oklahoma is the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers.

The game was at Dell Diamond, in Round Rock. I had never been there before but I had heard of the team, especially since we have some Orioles back home that played here. The ballpark is done right and the locals here should be proud to have such a facility.

This was Family Night and kids would get to run the bases after the game. We had great seats near the field on the third base side, the home team side. The atmosphere was great.......this is a great place to see a game. These photos shown here are not in order so do not be confused that you see a night sky before a daytime shot.

No matter where you sit in this ballpark, you have a great view of the game.

Beyond the outfield fence is a slope where people could sit on bankets and watch the game........this was neat.

I was impressed at how well kept and clean the facility is.

This is a gem of a ballpark.

Just beyond the right field fence is where there is a picnic area, special events, and a pool with lots of playground equipment for kids.

This is a modern facility, yet it has an old time feel to it.........a bit reminiscent of Camden Yards in Baltimore. I was particularly struck by how there is a wealth of vendors strategically placed within easy distance from wherever you happen to be seated for the game. No need to walk halfway around the place for anything.

Decent sized scoreboard and jumbotron. I forgot to mention that this was also the night that every fan recieved a Round Round Express watch from Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper is very popular in Texas.............Texas is the only place I have ever been able to get a CAFFEINE FREE Dr. Pepper.
Imagine that!
It is interesting that while watching television during the previous visit to Texas, there was bull riding being broadcast from the Arena in Baltimore, of all places. On this night, I am in Round Rock at a baseball game and seeing two former Baltimore Orioles on the field playing for the Express. This was the first game for Val Majewski and most of the folks probably knew hardly anything about him. He was the designated hitter on this night and showed everyone why he is a good acquisition.........he smacked the ball harder and further than anyone else on the team...... which kind of made me proud in a way.

Also on the team is catcher J.R. House. I am still trying to figure out why the Orioles managed to let this guy go. The Orioles current catcher is Ramon Hernandez and he has gotta be the worst catcher I have ever seen.

Supernurse and Princess Fartknocker even enjoyed themselves................and THAT is icing on the cake, folks.

All in all, we had a good time on this night and I am glad I had the opportunity to have been there. Just another one of those things I have gotten to do that I had never imagined or planned on.

Did I mention how lucky I am?

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog! I am Laura with the Round Rock Express, and your blog was forwarded to our management team. They appreciated your words and enjoyment of our ballpark, and would like to send you an Express baseball cap. Would you mind sending me an email with a mailing address for you when you get a chance? My email is LWHATLEY(at sign)rrexpress(dot)com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete