Monday, December 17, 2007

Caribbean Cruise - Part 5

The first port of call was San Juan, Puerto Rico.............and I have never known anything about Puerto Rico.........this would be an adventure for us.......no real idea of what we would do or where exactly we were going once we hit shore. I suppose Puerto Rico is about as close to being a U.S. state as it gets...........we are definately in US territory here.........this is a good thing.

When we reached port, I could see that San Juan was pretty much like any major port in any major city. I am positive that it would take several days to really get a good look and experience what San Juan has to offer............but.......we only have the late afternoon and early evening hours at our disposal before we head off to St. Thomas. This means......no beach for us this day.

But as we entered the port, we could see a fort and we figured that would be something we would like to see a bit more closely.

The cruise ship docks at an area called Old San Juan. Think of it as a sort of Williamsburg......Puerto Rico style. We got off of the ship and headed through the streets towards the fort. No map......just guesswork.

If you are fit and healthy, its a great thing to stroll through the streets wherever you find yourself..........it's a whole 'nother story when your upper thighs start burning, though. For me......that means I have to stop for a bit and rest........and this is a good thing because you actually take some time to absorb your surroundings and maybe notice the little stuff you otherwise wouldn't.

The streets were narrow and at times the sidewalks were crowded. It was a bit reminiscent of New Orleans.......well....at least the French Quarter part............without the smell.....hehehehe.

It is obviously a very historic area and I imagine it takes alot of income to actually live in Old San Juan.
I saw these steps and immediately thought of the Exorcist movie........you remember the part where the guy gets tossed down those steps in Georgetown?

Well......we meandered our way towards the fort....and we were getting close. Meanwhile, there is much to see along the way, such as this view of the wall that surrounds Old San Juan.......yes...it is a walled city.......remnants of history.

And in the back of your mind.......is.......Christopher Columbus.

Because Christopher Columbus did indeed tread on this ground......yep.....right here. Ahhhhh, we finally could actually see the fort in the distance. Just when you think you are getting real close.....you look and see that there is a shitload of walking just ahead.

Fort San Felipe del Morro.............and guess what?.......it is a US National Park! Oh well......I have come this far...I suppose I will hobble the rest of the way.

Damn, my thigh hurts......and I am only halfway up that very long sidewalk. But it is okay.......I stop and suck it all in and look around me.........what a view! What a gem this is........and what a history this place has!........and I am there!

Finally..........time to cough up the three bucks and enter the fort.

Think Fort McHenry..........Puerto Rico style. This was the courtyard where troops would assemble.

I entered assorted rooms.......one of which still had the cannons standing in defense.

Up on the rooftop.......the lighthouse.........still working after so many years. I stood there and wondered about how many hurricanes and tropical storms this place has survived.

From here, I could understand why this site was chosen for a fort........perfect. And to look around me in the distance........breathtaking!

Of course there was the threat of rain......and we were walking......and it is a long walk back to the ship............the story of my life.

And rain it did. We all got rather wet.....but no harm done. Walking back to the ship, we saw the Puerto Rican version of Christmas Lights hung over the streets.

Imagine driving here........I think you are better off walking. I wished we had more time to investigate all of the shops and restaurants we passed by....but we did not. Oh well.......just a taste is sometimes sufficient........and my thighs were killing me.

And finally, we reached the docks where The Grandeur Of The Seas and one of her sister ships sat waiting and looming over everything. Hmmmmm..........total cost of this onshore excursion: $6.00..............not bad at all...........oh, and I forgot the bottled water that Supernurse bought at the fort.
Now we were off to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.

Stay Tuned.......Part 6 coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment