Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Great Moments Happen & Greatness Is Sometimes Forgotten

This past Sunday, I got together with my eldest son Dash Riprock, and my ole buddy Ted Springstone. We decided to go to the Mt. Washington Tavern, here in Baltimore, to watch the NFL Playoff Game between the NY Giants and Green Bay Packers.........not particularly a special occasion.........I had no dog in this race.........but we were gonna root for the Packers.......after all......how can anyone from Baltimore ever root for any New York team in any sport? I had been to the Mt. Washington Tavern only once previously after a Christmas gala a coupe of years ago. Ted and Dash had never been there before. Anyhoo......we go there and start enjoying the game.....and it was a close one and not boring in the least.........at some point, this older man, who had been seated near the front window and entrance, gets up from his table and proceeds to walk towards the restrooms. Interestingly, he takes his time......and begins shaking everyone's hand.......he even taps the arms of those with their backs to him so that he can shake their hands. I thought......."This is bizarre."........so he approaches me, Ted and Dash and shakes our hands as well.........and then he goes to the restroom.

We looked at each other and had a discussion about the man. My son says "Did you see those Super Bowl rings on his hands?"..........so now, we are trying to figure out just exactly who this man is..................Ted says "Mackey"............gosh.........I don't know why, but I thought Mackey had died a few years ago..........."He looks like Mackey". A few minutes pass by, and here comes that man again, from out of the restroom.......and he proceeds to try to shake the hands each and every person in the bar as he strides back to his seat.......even though he had already shook everyone's hands! This time, I looked him over carefully..............YES!......he IS John Mackey, the Hall of Fame tight end, Number 88, of the BALTIMORE Colts! Unbelieveable!

Damn..........John Mackey is alive...........you learn something every day. Seeing him, shaking his hand.......speaking to him............well, gee........this is something that just doesn't happen every day. This is special. It's not everyday that I get the opportunity to shake the hand of one of the greatest football players that ever lived.

But something is seriously wrong with John Mackey. He suffers from dementia.........probably from years of head injuries and concussions on the football field. I asked Mackey "Why ain't you playing anymore?".......to which he replied "I did.....I played for 12 years". It was obvious to me that I should not ask more.......I just shook his hand again as he passed by. Dementia is a strange condition. It was as if Mackey knew he was a celebrity but the majority of those in the bar did not.......and Mackey had it in his head that everyone would want to shake his hand. Damn.........he was as if his mind is a broken record.......stuck in one groove.........maybe he doesn't realize that alot of years have passed since he wore the uniform.

So.......I gotta get the scoop on what is up with Mackey.........so when the young woman that was sitting with him passed by me on her way to the restroom, I stopped her and spoke to her. I asked "Is that your Dad that has been shaking everyone's hands?" She said "Yes". I asked "What is his name?"........and she said "John"........at first she seemed a bit hesitant.........but then I asked "He is John Mackey isn't he?....."Yes". So there it is.....confirmation. We spoke a couple of minutes and she told me about his condition and a few things about him today. I told her that I would love to have his autograph. She said "Sure, he would love that!" Damn! We did not have a pen or any paper.........dammit.

I am the guy that seems to always have my camera with me..........but not this time! THIS was a perfect time to have a camera.......and I did NOT have it with me...........dammit. I could have gotten a picture and an autograph of one of the greatest football players in NFL history! Damn!

Oh well.............after the game, as we were leaving, Mackey followed me out the front door and was asking "Where's the car?" I turned around and said "You need to ask your daughter.....she is right behind you"


Damn...........

From what I was told, Mackey comes to the MT. Washington Tavern often.......his daughter brings him there.......it is a comfort zone for him. In spite of his illness, God has blessed John Mackey. That his daughter and wife tend to him the way they do, is a testimony to that fact. He is much loved and his greatness surely hasn't faded in their lives.

I had to read up on Mackey......get more details.....I was now curious. His story is is one that should be made into a movie one day........and I hope they do.......his story should be a source of inspiration to many.

If you would like to learn more about John Mackey's condition, try this link:



No comments:

Post a Comment